With summer break comes summer travel. For families with multiple children, or any children for that matter, it’s nearly impossible for parents to help roll a child’s luggage through the airport when they have their own luggage to carry. That’s why it’s a good idea to buy a travel bag or carry-on luggage made specifically for a child or something that is small and lightweight, at least. Things like luggage height, handle extension, wheels, and pockets should be taken into consideration when shopping for kids luggage.
7 things to consider when shopping for children’s luggage:
- Does the bag have wheels? Your child is likely not going to want to carry luggage through an airport or even to and from the car. Luggage with wheels will help everyone stay happy!
- Does the luggage handle extend?
- Does the bag or luggage have multiple carry options such as rolling and backpack style?
- What is the weight of the bag?
- Is it small enough to fit under a seat on the plain or in an overhead bin?
- If possible, find out what the weight limit is for the bag. The maximum weight limit for a carry-on is around 40 pounds but many airlines only accept bags around 20 pounds so be sure to check before buying for a trip when you’ll be flying.
- Does it have exterior pockets? Exterior pockets are good for things like iPods, chargers, crayons, and a water bottle. It’s nice to have quick access to these items while traveling.
These five rolling travel / carry-on size bags are perfect for jet-setting kids!
- 1 – Kids Travel Zone blue rolling carry-on – $44.99 at Kids Travel Zone
This cute carry-on bag has wheels and can be monogrammed with your child’s name and an image! It is available in 5 colors including blue and pink.
Size: 17″ x 12.5″ x 5.75″
- 2 – Terrance Trunki by Melissa & Doug – $40
Designed to beat the boredom suffered by traveling tots, Trunki is a hand-luggage sized ride-on suitcase.
Size: Trunki is 18.2 x 8.5 x 12.8 inches
- 3 – Fairfax Aegean Blue Luggage – $89.50 at Pottery Barn Kids
This adorable luggage can be monogrammed with your child’s name and has heavy-duty metal handles and tough nylon zippers which will help it last for years.
Size: 13″ wide x 7.5″ deep x 17″ high
- 4 – Navy and Aqua Rolling Luggage – $49.99 at Lillian Vernon
This rolling suitcase is great for the gadget loving child. Chargers and devices can be stored in the side pockets while larger items fit in the main compartment. Can be embroidered with up to 12 characters.
Size: 5″ x 12″ x 16″ H.
- 5 – Solid FeatherLight™ Wheeled Large Backpack – $89.99 at LandsEnd.com
This lightweight backpack has inline skate wheels that roll smoothly and has adjustable sternum straps to keep the bag in place on the shoulders and support the back.
Size: 19 1/2″Hx13″Wx8″D
Does your child have a travel bag of their own or does he/she use one of your old carry-on bags?