Walt Disney World’s newest innovation in technology is the MagicBand, a device that can be used throughout Walt Disney World and select Disney Resorts. This colorful wristband can be used as a park pass to access the Disney theme parks and as a room key to unlock the door at a Disney Resort hotel room. Kids can even enjoy the resort swimming pools and Disney water parks with their waterproof MagicBand. In addition, the MagicBand can be used to pay for food and merchandise. As an added bonus, guests using the MagicBand can pre-select certain FastPass attractions before they even set foot into one of the four theme parks!
To make the bands even more fun to use, guests will be able to customize their individual wristband with their name and a color selection. This exciting new system is currently in a testing stage and it is expected to debut to the general public later this year as part of Disney’s MyMagic+ system.
The convenience of the MagicBand will make Disney vacations much easier! Parents no longer have to worry about carrying a Disney Resort room key, a separate park pass or ticket, and cash for food and merchandise. Once all of the vacation choices have been pre-selected using the ‘My Disney Experience’ section of the Walt Disney World website, the choices are automatically tied to the MagicBand. At that point, the band can be shipped directly to a family’s residence prior to their trip or picked up at the Disney Resort.
MagicBand and FastPass+
One of the unique features of the MagicBand is the ability to select FastPass+ attractions prior to the trip. The FastPass+ attractions include popular theme park attractions currently on the FastPass system, as well as additional attractions, parade viewing areas, preferred access to character greetings and more! Since several FastPass+ attractions can be selected in advance, parents no longer have to worry about FastPass tickets for certain attractions running out during the day of their family’s visit.
MagicBand Customization Accessories
Accessories for MagicBands are being sold at Disney resorts where testing is ongoing such as the Fantasia Gift Shop in the Contemporary Resort in Orlando, Florida. Accessories include MagicBandits, MagicSliders and CoverBands.
- CoverBands, $15.95 for a 3-pack or $6.95 for a single pack at the time of this writing, are a fabric covering that slides onto the MagicBand giving kids even more customization opportunities.
- MagicBandits are available in a 3-pack for $6.95 and 4-pack for $8.95. Characters including the Muppets, Phineas and Ferb and TinkerBell are just two choices park goers will have when choosing their MagicBandits.
- MagicSliders, $12.95 each, are small single characters that slide onto the MagicBand, to surround the Mickey Mouse face which is also the RFID (the part that provides the technology).
All three accessories can be used at the same time!
- MagicBand colors available will include: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple Pink, Orange, and Gray.
- MagicBands will be shipped to the guest within 30 to 10 days of arrival or to the resort if reservation is made within 10 days of arrival.
- The band is waterproof but will not float.
- The MagicBand is not known to ever need a battery replacement at this time.
Children and adults alike will appreciate the convenience and fun of this wonderful new technology. In fact, the Disney MagicBand is sure to be a magical experience for all members of the family!
Prices are valid as of the time of this writing and are not guaranteed.
Have you been able to try a MagicBand on a recent Disney trip? Share your experience with us in the comments below!