Hallalujah, the kids are back in school! Don’t tell me that you’re not thinking the same thing.
Luckily, my kids were just as excited about going back to school as I was that they were going back. Why such the excitement? I can finally work 5-6 hours straight again!
I am a work from home mom. I started my business, Atlanta Moms®, 12 years ago and have worked from home since. Some people think that because I work from home, I live a relaxing, carefree life.
Working from home = a relaxing, carefree life, right?
- You can work when you want
- You can play with the kids when you want
- You can hang out at the local coffee shop for hours if you want
- You can get a massage while the kids are in school
- You can get comfy on the couch and read a good book before answering emails
Those are some things that people have suggested that I must do since I work from home.
Like, duh, I just sit around all day wondering what to do with the time.
On that note, here is what working from home (with kids) means to me.. especially during the summer school break months:
- Working from home = rarely getting to complete a work related task from start to finish at one sitting
- Working from home = risking having a child telling you about the hawk eating the squirrel in the backyard while you’re on a conference call
- Working from home = not having normal work hours
- Working from home = people expecting you to be able to leave the house to have lunch whenever you want
- Working from home = typing up a rush proposal while teaching your 7-year-old multiplication
- Working from home = often reading and responding to emails while parked at your child’s evening activity
- Working from home = technically getting to make your own hours and do what you want when you want while being responsible and holding yourself accountable and most importantly
- Working from home = working extra hard to keep your promises to your kids, employees, and clients
Now that the kids are back in school, today is day #2, I have 5-6 solid hours a day when I can work in peace and quiet again!
I am unbelievably grateful that I am able to work from home.
I never imagined that my business would allow me to make a full-time income while being able to take care of my kids and home, travel across the country, work with local and national businesses every day, work with companies like Six Flags, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes-Benz and Coca-Cola, but it has and I am so appreciative.
I learned early on in my work from home days that when someone says that they work from home, we should say “wow, you are brave, generous, and must have your sh*t together enough to maintain an income while raising happy, healthy, smart children”. Enough said.