My problem with Moon Sand - The Mommy Insider
MENU

My problem with Moon Sand

by Alicia on July 18, 2007 in Things I have a problem with

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

MoonsandIf you have a television, you’ve probably heard of Moon Sand.  Well, I bought Sebastian some at Target as a
gift for getting stitches. I usually don’t buy things I see on TV but Sebastian was sure that he really would play with it so I got it for him. Anyway.. the Moon Sand is pretty cool. It doesn’t stick to your hands when you’re playing with it, and it really feels like sand. However… a BIG however, we can’t figure out how to make things out of the moon sand without using the molds that came with the set. From what we gather, you have to buy more molds. We tried to make things on our own out of the Moon Sand, but the sand just wouldn’t stay together. Sure you can put some in a cup and have a nice Moon Sand cup but what child wants to build a Moon Sand cup castle?

My point is that based on the commercial we thought that we would be able to mold the sand into shapes and objects ourselves, with out their molds.

That’s what I get for buying something on those tacky commercials.

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a commission when you buy something. If you'd like to know more about the links featured in my posts, how I do and choose reviews, or choose advertisers, check out The Mommy Insider editorial policy.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

No One December 15, 2014 at 11:04 am

I’ve never had a problem with it. It shapes into whatever you want. We build motocross tracks, square blocks, round ones, castles and it stays perfectly. Maybe you didn’t get the good brand. We buy it from Brookstone.

Susan April 23, 2008 at 6:48 pm

I have never been able to get Moon Sand to work as advertised. It just made an enormous crumbly mess that was impossible to clean up. Purple “sand” reappeared in the room where we’d played with it for months afterward. Worse than actual sand.

Coy lopez April 8, 2008 at 3:05 pm

My 3 year old daughter was playing with moon sand last night. She then rubbed her eye after about five minutes her eye became red and swollen. Even the skin beneath her eyelid became so inflamed we took her to the ER. there they flushed it out. Today her eye[ is still swollen a little bit but not as bad. Im wondering if this moon sand stuff is as non-toxic and as allergy free as they say it is.

christin February 10, 2008 at 1:07 am

Has anyone had skin problems after playing with moon sand. We spent 5 hours in ER after my son put it on his face, Please email if anyone has a comment. My son has never had allergies or a rash on his face until now. Now I read something about a dog dying. Thank you- christin at thomasandchristin@yahoo.com

Ed Kingston January 6, 2008 at 9:28 am

Hi ,my 7 year old has been wanting moon sand for a while ,big mistake ,she had it out of the package for 2 days playing with it and to my wonder ,on day 2 the moon sand grew Mold ! ,hmmm not very happy ,and niether is my daughter

jaosn October 22, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Hey guys -

The cheapest bulk source of moonsand I have found is http://www.moonsandkits.com. They have 5lb bags for only $14.95.

Melissa Mom2 Maya August 23, 2007 at 12:17 am

ooops…meant to say you CAN find online teacher resource sites online to buy the 5 or 10 pound bags w/ minimal shipping costs.

Melissa Mom2 Maya August 22, 2007 at 7:41 pm

We LOVE moon sand. YES! It is expensive…HOWEVER Target (if you can find it) sell 5LB containers (1 white & 1 colored in 2- 2.5 lb. bags) for $20 &/OR you can find large bulks of it (5 & 10 lb. bags) of white (use a small tub of colored to make a pastel version of the colored variety if desired) for about $20 for 5lbs or 40 for 10lbs & about 6 or 7 for shipping. We personally use it in a sand/water table (we have 2 kinds & I use ours @ our sit down variety sand table) & my daughter prefers to have her mini kitchen pots, pans & utensils to pretend she’s cooking- however you can use anything…we personalyy LOVE moon sand & are very happy we found it.

Rob July 28, 2007 at 2:04 am

Hi, I have a lot of experience w/ Moon Sand. You can use your own molds to create…. You need to pack the sand very tight inside the mold. Give it a try.

Rob July 28, 2007 at 2:04 am